Sustainability: Managing today’s challenges while building for the future.
Today’s organizational leaders spend considerable time maintaining the sustainability of their organizations. Organizational sustainability satisfies the needs of the current organization without jeopardizing the organization’s future ability to be successful.
In healthcare, organizational sustainability often involves balancing complex, conflicting goals– access to services, safety, profitability, patient-centeredness, quality, cost reduction, and government regulations. To address goals that are often at odds, healthcare providers need to develop professional capabilities such as business acumen, savvy financial skills, robust planning methods, dynamic people skills, and superb relationship-building skills.
In the Kelley Business of Medicine MBA, not only will you learn valuable knowledge and skills, you will have many opportunities to practice them in our innovative curriculum. The MBA program teaches a wide range of business knowledge and skills such as:
- Establishing an organizational identity – vision, mission, and values – and distinguishing that identity with branding and messaging.
- Understanding how external forces in the healthcare industry shape system-level strategies and operational decisions.
- Integrating and applying the appropriate business tools and techniques to understand, analyze, and solve complex problems.
- Preparing a budget as well as monitoring the financial health and well-being of the organization.
- Demonstrating the ability to effectively communicate in formal and informal situations, to effectively facilitate a group, and to produce high-impact business presentations.
- Global economic decline, aging populations, and rising health costs are negatively impacting the long-term financial viability of the healthcare industry.
- Declining healthcare reimbursements and razor-thin margins make it difficult to maintain current resources and develop new talent and expertise.
- This new environment challenges healthcare organizations like never before to apply business knowledge and skills.
- The mission of the Kelley School of Business is to transform lives, organizations, and society through business education and research.
- Kelley MBA programs are consistently ranked among the best in the nation.
- The Business of Medicine MBA teaches essential organizational sustainability capabilities around an integrated business curriculum, offering numerous opportunities to put these new skills to use in the healthcare industry.