Skip to Content
Philip T. Powell
- Clinical Associate Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy
- Chairperson, Kelley Direct Program
- Ph.D. Vanderbilt University, 1995
- B.A. University of South Carolina, 1991
Awards & Honors:
- Lilly Alumni MBA Teaching Award: 1999, 2002, 2005
- Trustee’s Teaching Award: 2000
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award: each year 1997 - 2007, 2009
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award: 1998, 1999, 2000
- Rendigs Fels Excellence in Teaching Award: 1995
- Faculty Chair, Full-time MBA Program (Bloomington) (2009-2012)
- Faculty Chair, Evening MBA Program (2006 - 2009)
- Faculty Co-director, MBA Discovery, Innovation, and Ventures Enterprise (2005 - 2007)
- Faculty Director, MBA Health Care & Life Sciences Academy, Bloomington (2002 – 2005)
- Visiting Scholar, Pacific Islands Development Program, East-West Center, Honolulu (2003)
- Business strategy in the health care and life science industries
- Economic and institutional development in Pacific island states
- Powell, Philip T. and Ron Laufer, 2010. “The promises and constraints of consumer directed healthcare,” Business Horizons, forthcoming.
- Hill, John and Philip T. Powell, 2009. “The national healthcare crisis: Is ehealth a key solution?” Business Horizons, 52(3): 265-278.
- Powell, P. T., 2006. "Ethnic heterogeneity, economic integration and atomistic federalism in the Pacific," Pacific Economic Bulletin, 21(2): 53-69.
- Powell, P. T., 2005. "'Too young to marry': economic convergence and the case against integration of Pacific island states" in Pacific Island Regional Integration and Governance, S. Chand, ed. Asia Pacific Press, Canberra, Australia, pp. 218-239.
- Powell, Philip T., 2004. "A theory of atomistic federalism for Melanesia," Pacific Economic Bulletin, 19(3): 49-63.
- Powell, Philip T. and Roger. W. Schmenner, 2002 (lead article). "Economics and operations management: towards a theory of endogenous production speed," Managerial and Decision Economics, 23: 331-42.
- Powell, Philip T. and David A. Nakata, 2001. "Can earnings decline cause a retirement flight of physicians? Financial compensation and the decision to stay in practice," Medical Care Research and Review, 58(3), 361-78.
- Powell, Philip T., 1998. "Traditional production, communal land tenure, and policies for environmental preservation in the South Pacific," Ecological Economics, 24(1): 89-101.