Your Career Advances Here
MSA students take a minimum of 30 credit hours for graduation. To sit for the CPA exam, 15 of those credit hours must be in accounting.
Designed for the working professional, most MSA courses are offered during the evenings, and students should be able to complete the program going part time, including summers, within 18 months.
Students who come to the program without an accounting or business degree may be required to complete additional prerequisites to develop their business expertise.
For students admitted in fall 2013 or later, the core requirements are:
(21 credit hours)
- A511 Financial Accounting Theory and Practice II (3 cr.)
- A514 Auditing Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- A515 Introduction to Taxation (3 cr.)
- A551 Tax Research (1.5 cr.)
- A523 Business Information Systems (3 cr.)
- A539 Advanced Tax: Entity Issues (3 cr.)
- A500 Professional and Ethical Responsibilities in Accounting (1.5 cr.)
- L503 Advanced Business Law (3 cr.)
If you’ve previously completed one of the accounting courses above and used it toward another degree, you may replace it with an approved elective.
Learning in a Professional Environment (3 cr.) is a required course for international students who secure an internship, and we highly recommend it for those students who come to the MS in Accounting without previous work experience in accounting.
Students admitted prior to the fall 2013 term must complete a minimum of 6 hours of accounting electives. For the remaining 9 credit hours, students may choose from the following categories:
- Accounting elective
- Advanced auditing, tax, or other accounting elective
- Business elective
- Non-accounting business or other approved graduate level course
Other electives (accounting, business, other approved graduate courses, or earn graduate credit for work experience through Learning in a Professional Environment)
View current course offerings in the Schedule of Classes from the IUPUI Registrar.