Today’s accounting is about more than crunching numbers. It’s using those numbers to make decisions, craft strategies and shape the future of a business. As the “language of business,” accounting studies the methods of recording, reporting and examining the financial information and economic outlook of a business for a variety of audiences.
Career Fields in Accounting
Careers in accounting typically involve:
Local Companies Hiring Accounting Majors
Review Career and Salary Statistics to learn more about the earning potential of accounting careers.
Preparing for a Career in Accounting
Consider minors that can help build your skillset.
- Finance: Better understand the planning and risk of financial decisions.
- Economics: Better understand global influences on financial markets.
Get involved on campus through student organizations.
- Kelley Indianapolis Accounting Association (KIAA)
- Delta Sigma Pi (DSP) Professional Business Fraternity
Accounting job and internship recruitment is focused on the Fall semester.
- Kelley hosts a career event each fall.
- Internships can be found on Handshake and other job boards.
Key Tips to Consider about Accounting Careers
- Becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) requires the completion of 150 credit hours of coursework and a passing score on the CPA exam.
- Accountants have a “busy season” lasting from January to April that often requires additional employee work beyond the standard 40-hour week.
Explore careers in business.
Meet with a Kelley Career Coach to discuss which degree path best fits your skills, and follow us on social media to stay current on the latest opportunities.
Schedule an appointment in Handshake.
- BS 2010 – Office of Academic & Career Development
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 317-278-0506